Re: [LUG] Dual boot - Linux and Windows

On 19/07/12 12:19, Gibbs wrote:
> You can do it either way but its recommended to install Windows first.
> The reason for that is the Windows bootloader ignores all other systems,
> whereas GRUB does not. When that happens you will have to install
> another bootloader (GRUB) that can boot both Linux and Windows -
> otherwise you are stuck with just Windows.
>
> In other words its easier and less hassle to have GRUB added to the MBR
> after Windows as it can boot both...
>
> Gibbs

Thanks for all the info from the replies. The reason I asked is that I
have bought a new laptop for daughter (birthday) and it is one that
comes without any OS. I have several choices of Linux which I can
install for her, but I do not have any version of Windows.

I did ask in the local computer shop if they had a copy of Windows and
the answer was yes. The cost? Â85. I decided not to bother, so she will
have to work with whatever distro I install. I just asked my questions
in case she decides that she want Windows after all. Probably not.

Meanwhile, which version to install? The choices are Xubuntu 12.04,
Kubuntu 12.04 or Mint 13 KDE which is a Release Candidate version. Since
it is a laptop I will probably go for Xubuntu. I have tested it in VBox
and it seems fine.

Thanks

Neil