Re: [LUG] Dual boot - Linux and Windows

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 12:19 +0100, Gibbs wrote:
> On 19/07/12 11:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > I do not use Windows myself, but the question has come up about dual
> > booting Windows with Linux. In the past I have understood that you
> > should install Linux first before Windows. The other way round does not
> > work because Windows will find the Linux distro already installed and
> > remove it.
> >
> > I may be wrong of course, nothing new there! So, was that correct? And
> > if so is it still the case? And, finally, if Linux is already installed
> > and the owner wants Windows added, for whatever reason, is there any way
> > round it?
> >
> > thanks for any help with this,
> >
> > Neil
> >
> You can do it either way but its recommended to install Windows first.
> The reason for that is the Windows bootloader ignores all other systems,
> whereas GRUB does not. When that happens you will have to install
> another bootloader (GRUB) that can boot both Linux and Windows -
> otherwise you are stuck with just Windows.
>
> In other words its easier and less hassle to have GRUB added to the MBR
> after Windows as it can boot both...
>
> Gibbs

I do windows then Linux

If you have the luxury of two disks take the win disk out, if you are
worried, then do linux

to use grub to boot windows later is well documented.

I use the bios to select the boot device

If you put the 1st as linux the user gets migrated

if the 1st is Windows the user rarely uses linux

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Skype minions_shop