Re: [LUG] Hard drive formatting

On 16/07/12 09:38, George Parker wrote:

> Simon, there is nowhere I have found that says DD swaps
> out bad blocks when you write.

It isn't "dd" that does it.

The drives firmware will replace with a "spare" any blocks that a write
fails on. The intent is that on first usage any bad blocks are set aside.

"dd" is just the most convenient method of writing to every block on a
disk to trigger this behaviour.

I don't trust the "dd" method.

Indeed I replace any disk that encounters new bad blocks in normal
operation, based on both the underlying engineering and experience of
trying not to. Also the "blocks" are so small on disk, it is rare to
encounter a single new bad block these days, they inevitably comes in
their tens or more usually hundreds, no doubt reflecting the track of
some minute speck of dust or scratch.

In theory with RAID-1 or similar most places we ought to be able to live
with a less than perfect disk, simply having it drop out of the RAID
array when a read error occurs, in practice I've never seen a disk with
a new bad block formatted and reintroduced to a RAID array last out the
month.