[LUG] Hard drive formatting

I have a 500 Gb hard drive, not very old, that has a few bad blocks that are causing me grief. I know that I can get the drive to log these bad blocks so they are not used by a low level format but how do you do it?

Googling mostly says use dd for a low level format, but this only fills up you drive with rubbish so data can't be read. In my mind this is not low level formating. The bad blocks will still be available. Others say it can be done from the BIOS settings, but not that I can find on mine. Seagate's web site doesn't seem to cover it, and is Windows-centric anyway.

I think in Windows I've done it from Fdisk but how do you do it from Linux?

TIA

George