Re: [LUG] Hard drive formatting

On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 13:00 +0100, George Parker wrote:
> I have a 500 Gb hard drive, not very old, that has a few bad blocks
> that are causing me grief. I know that I can get the drive to log these
> bad blocks so they are not used by a low level format but how do you do it?
>
> Googling mostly says use dd for a low level format, but this only fills
> up you drive with rubbish so data can't be read. In my mind this is not
> low level formating. The bad blocks will still be available. Others say
> it can be done from the BIOS settings, but not that I can find on mine.
> Seagate's web site doesn't seem to cover it, and is Windows-centric anyway.
>
> I think in Windows I've done it from Fdisk but how do you do it from Linux?
>
> TIA
>
> George

Use the Gpartd gui

If the disk has been unmounted and is still unclean ie ntfs errors..
then only a windows type scandisk chkdsk /f will help you

if it's clean then Gparted is good avalible in most distros and on
bootable cds like Knoppix
If you have a bootable cd of any linux type you can still install
gparted in the virtual environment.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)