Re: [LUG] crashing computer

On 05/07/12 18:03, aaron moore wrote:

> I managed to run dmesg in terminal and have posted the output to
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85414620/dmesg%20output
> I would be very grateful if you could have a look...it means very little
> to me.

Aaron,

can you clarify - when you say it crashes more and more often. Is this
in one session, i.e. Could it be something to do with the system warming
up? Or over a long period? (e.g. with long periods of time to cool down
in between).

Basically to crash more frequently with time something has to be
preserving some sort of information about history, or something has to
be being exhausted.

The later is unlikely with GNU/Linux because the software is pretty
good. But might be an issue with hardware integration.

The only thing that leaps out from the description is file system. If
the file system is not shut down cleanly, it will corrupt. If it doesn't
complete checks to fix that corruption on booting, it will eventually
lead to issues such as crashing. This is true on Windows as well, but
possibly you are doing something odd on shutdown (sorry have no idea how
familiar you are with GNU/Linux).

Other questions would be:

How exactly does it hang? Does it print any messages? Can you
"Ctrl-Alt-F1" to get to the console? Does the mouse pointer still move
when you move the mouse? (No really mouse pointer can be the last thing
to die).

When it crashes on booting is it before it has started the graphical
interface?

The most common hangs are related the graphics driver issues, this can
hang the Graphical interface but often you can still access it remotely
(or with the Ctrl-Alt-F1 mentioned above). Usually a problem with the
graphics driver or software like this will cause errors to be logged.
Typically in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log (which is renumbered after reboots
- so look through the older ones - Xorg.1.log etc), or in the users
.xsession-errors. However I can't think of any immediate reason why
these sorts of hangs should get more frequent with time.

I looked through "dmesg" output, and it has some ACPI errors, and odd
graphics card messages.

The ACPI would likely affect cooling so might well be the culprit if it
is warming up that makes the hangs more frequent.

I would try booting with the "noacpi" option on the kernel. Since this
will likely side step any ACPI problems. Might not be an ideal long term
solution, but it may be useful to identify the issue.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Also the model number of the Acer Aspire might help us track known
issues for the hardware.

Comment before about running memtest is always worthwhile on boxes
crashing. Although I doubt it is a hardware problem, running memtest
won't hurt and might reveal something odd about memory, or assumptions
about memory reservation (possibly Windows knows some additional memory
not to use - but again unlikely to explain increase in frequency of
crashing).

 Simon