Re: [LUG] More possibility of games developers taking an interest in Linux

On 15/06/12 22:43, paul sutton wrote:
On 15/06/12 22:33, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

A brief but interesting article about EA starting to take a bit more
interest in Linux.  It seems they have released some HTML games on the
Ubuntu 'Software Center'.  With that and Steam coming to Linux it
could mean that games developers are starting to sit up and take
notice of Linux, especially when the Humble Bundle purchasers on Linux
have spent more than Windows and Mac users :-)

Anyway, the article is here:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/linux-gaming-on-the-rise-ea-arrives-on-ubuntu-and-valve-plans-steam-port/

Rob

As long as they remember this spending more is voluntary and users may
not like it too much if they are then charged more for a Linux version
of a game than say windows or mac version.   Thinking they can rip us
off by charging more may backfire and end up putting all of us in a
worse situation.

Oilrush which is a full mac, windows and Linux game costs $19.99 the
same for each platform.

Paul

Well I'd assume with an online delivery method the prices would maybe stay similar, I mean it's like that for the PS3 and XBOX 360. I'd assume they'd use cross platform engines anyway so I would assume there wouldn't be that many code changes for each platform (heck if FLOSS developers can create cross platform stuff I'm sure a big developer like EA or Valve can too).

Of course it might also mean that prices for games stay high. I'm not sure how Steam compares to retail but I've found on the XBOX360 and PS3 digital downloads of full games are often more expensive than their retail counterparts.

Rob