Re: [LUG] postscript code generator

On 14/06/12 18:08:46, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 14 Jun 2012 11:18, <stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I need to generate a invoice from a system.
> The system is remote and I need to proint locally.
>
> Don't really care about how I get the data from the remote system to
the
printer.

> What I need is a way to generate customer documents, postscript
would be
good.
> Does anybody do this or what could I use, still searching myself.

Lots of good ideas already, here's a few more thoughts.

1. Set up your local printer as a network printer in CUPS on the
remote
system. Bingo, no more remote/local dimension to the problem!

Don't have a problem with that and you still have the remote/local dimension, you have just covered it up. That is the easy bit.

2. Bear in mind that CUPS prints PDF just as happily as Postscript.
I split on CUPS! :-) Just got rid of it and installed lpd, ah bliss, something that just works.

3. Consider Libre/Open Office's mail merge feature for generating your
invoices in a WYSIWYG way.

Don't want to have to do it myself the system should just create the printfile when it needs to and print it.

4. If you're feeling keen, I'd enjoy showing you my approach: plain
text
with ultra-minimal markup -> emacs org-mode ->  html/latex/pdf.

Looks like I will look at latex or take the simple, template with hack route, won't be the first time I have needed to do that.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\