Re: [LUG] Pi Output Box

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

Hi

I am afraid I have forgotten what stuff is called!  Ages ago I fitted some
cards inside my PC which had (I think) 32 outputs.  Attached LEDs and wrote
a quick C programme to make them flash.  Great fun (and cheap).

I feel sure there must be some something out there which does the same from
a USB port, which is of course relevant to the Pi, but I can not for the
life of me   find anything as I am not searching using the correct words?

Any pointers please?

I know there are IO switch boxes for USB - I've used them - but these were controlling mains ...

GPIO - General Purpose Inpout Output - is sort of a generic term, but you'll see it used all the time on the Pi. I've been doing a lot on the Pi and written some nice C libraries to poke/peek the IO pins, however they don't use the "approved" method of using the /sys/class/gpio/... mechanism, however they do emulate the Arduino's "Wiring" library. The down-side is that anyhing poking the IO on the Pi needs to run as root (for now).

For the Pi, there are a few systems in-use now - I have a couple of breakout boards from SK Pang -

http://unicorn.drogon.net/pi_sht15.jpg

has a Pi on a nice board with a breadboard next to it. The SKpang boards are at: http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/raspberry-pi-cover-with-breadboard-area-red-p-1071.html

(the sht15 is a digital temperature and humidity sensor - the Pi is displaying temp in binary there)

another pic. with the lid swung back:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/mess3.jpg

My stuffs at: https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/ but I'm in the middle (as in right now; well this morning!) of making some changes, etc.

Gordon