Re: [LUG] listing hardware

On 07/05/12 21:53, paul sutton wrote:

> Maybe I can write something for the website that we can use to help us
> help new users or users with hardware issues

I think blogging specific issues and the method of resolving or finding
the issue is the best approach, unless you have specific expertise in
some domain.

You end up with short blog posts with error message, or problem
description, and resolution, and hopefully some steps you took to find
the resolution.

e.g.

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/455

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/447

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/443

This has similar value to the mailing list archive we create here.

Hardware errors can be terribly specific, like the one I had with some
DELL CD writers writing files with all zeros using the GNOME interface
to write data CDs, so it can be challenging to write a general purpose
guide. Such things also need maintenance, where as blog posts and
mailing list posts require little or no effort, and people don't expect
them to be maintained but simply a record of "how it was".

We can sort people blog access to the DCGLUG site as required.