Re: [LUG] My letter to my MP / ISP ban to The Pirate Bay

On 06/05/12 10:00, Simon Waters wrote:
On 05/05/12 22:25, paul sutton wrote:
I suppose the word Naked springs to mind in terms of safety,  such as Do
not use naked flames near
flammable liquids,   if that was blocked it would be interesting from a
safety point of view
I think there are a lot more, and the slang varies with context.
Remember "rubbers" are "erasers" in US English.

Indeed one of the CDs I have in the car has a load of lyrics based on
similar double entendres, and any rudeness is entirely in the listeners
head I'm sure.

I'm not sure such errors are the major problem.

However the point is that such lists have errors, or misclassifications,
whatever the cause of those errors (and I don't rule out malice on the
part of the list compiler.

Think website of political party the list compositor doesn't like just
before the general election.

These errors are of both types - sites missing (inevitable as the web
grows and changes), and sites added in error.

Whilst people opt into a provider of censorship, then the errors are the
fault of the supplier. I think opting out does change the legal argument
around such errors, if only because of the numbers involved, but whether
it does so sufficiently to change how courts view it is another question.

Often the main victim will be the difficult edge cases, especially if
classification is done mechanically; Rape victim support, sex education,
safe sex advice - pick one you want to block that you think might be
less important than preventing your kid seeing porn.

The trouble with censorship is that it doesn’t work and tends to encourage the very thing you are trying to suppress. The one thing to get young teens into something is to make it subversive. As far as I can tell I'm the only person who ever enjoyed their first cigarette but everyone else seems to persist until its too late because doing something naughty at that age is a powerful drive. The Portuguese decriminalised drugs 10 years ago and usage has dropped. We criminalised heroin use in the sixties and usage soared. Parents generally don’t want their children seeing porn not because its bad for the children but they themselves are too embarrassed to explain it properly. If you want your teenage kids to stop doing something the best way is to share it with them.
Tom te tom te tom