Re: [LUG] My letter to my MP / ISP ban to The Pirate Bay

On Wed, 2 May 2012 13:45:17 +0100
Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

> I don't think this is the reason why file-sharing is seen as a
> problem, whereas tape-copying wasn't. Or, actually it was -- see for
> instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music --
> though nowhere near as much.

Yes it was, by the music industry.  Government stayed out of it as there
was nothing, well next to nothing, in it for them.  As for "can't put a
levy on tapes because it would affect people doing no wrong" argument,
that's never really bothered them, it was just an excuse to to nothing.

What's /really/ changed is the government.  They used to have a default
position of "do nothing unless it needs doing".  These days they have
one of "do anything, so we aren't accused of doing nothing".  Much of
what they do is contradictory and/or useless.  Passing laws doesn't stop
people doing stuff, it just makes more people into criminals.

Anyhow, as you go on to say (although in a somewhat more erudite way)
the music/film industry should stop whining about their 'losses' and find
ways to move with the times.

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman