Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 12.04

On 01/05/12 20:05, tom wrote:

> Its not KDE - I used to use that and it was never this slow or obtuse.
> Its annoying things like the top menu bars only being available when
> you full screen some apps??? And I've got about 150 apps that menus
> used to find quite quickly that I cant find at all and of course have
> binary names that are 20 characters long so running them from the
> console is a nightmare too!
> The more I use it the more the whole thing just seems to be doing a
> windows - trying to make something simple that cant be made so.
> Tom te tom te tom

You can make ubuntu slightly less retarded with a simple:

sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar* apport*
ubuntuone-* appmenu-*

This removes the stupid global menu and the stupid overlay scrollbars:
ubuntuone is just pointless and apport is the automated fault reporting
service, which ironically, is also somewhat broken itself currently. You
will see it popping up frequently and annoying you by stealing focus so
just nuke it and report any bugs you want to in the old fashioned manual
way.

I personally still detest Unity even though I'll admit the "HUD" is
starting to take shape at last: gnome-shell has been making great
strides and it's what I'm currently persevering with, just to be bloody
minded (don't get me wrong, I'll be back to gnome2/awesome on CentOS
shortly but thought I can hardly criticise 12.04/Unity/gnome-shell
unless I've properly tried them). To be genuinely usable, any more
technical user is still going to have add a lot of PPAs, remove some
crap, add a whole bunch of extra stuff/upgrades/shell-extensions and
tweak a lot of configuration settings before 12.04 is much use. The UK
mirrors are still in melt-down since the release day as well so be
prepared for some dog-slow dist-upgrades...

Mat