Re: [LUG] FaceBook

On 30 April 2012 12:54, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Philip Hudson wrote:
>> er... free software? FaceBook? No.
>>
>> https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226600/Facebook_hacker_comes_clean
>>
>> This is really quite worrying. If members of this list can be bamboozled by
>> corporate flim-flam into believing the likes of FB produce free software,
>> then who is safe?
>
> No one made that claim. Someone (Paul, I believe) linked to pages
> where Facebook and Twitter say they use free software to build their
> sites and its employees contribute to the open source community. That
> doesn't make the website itself open-source (the back-end, that is -
> the HTML/CSS/JavaScript front-end obviously is). Very few websites
> are.

The HTML/CSS/Javascript front end isn't open source, it's copyright
with an appropriate license, same as the backend - just because you
can read something doesn't mean you can copy, modify or redistribute
it.

Twitter do however provide the really rather nifty Bootstrap css/js
framework, and that's open source.

Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk