Re: [LUG] tablet computers

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, paul sutton wrote:

Hi

Any recommendations for tablet computers,  not buying yet, but I have so
many pdf files it may help to have something other than a netbook to
read them on,

Bigger rather than smaller then...

So android OS and a kindle App would be useful too,   pdf reader is
colour which is helpful esp as Open university course books are in
colour,  and the electronic versions are PDF, so being able to read
without having to cart a pile of books around with me would be useful.

given a kindle costs £89 a little more gets a tablet that can do a lot
more.  Or even a little less.

I guess these things hook up to wifi too,  not that important but a
feature.

My wife's just gotten herself a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.2 thingy. It has a very high drool factor. It's very fast, currently running gingerbread, but there's an upgrade to ICS in the works.

However although it was an ebay purchase, it was still a bit pricey...

But have you seen these?

  http://linitx.com/product/13436

I am almost tempted myself... The only down-side I can see is the battery life - quoted at up to 5 hours. (Oh, and it's a front-facing camera only, so skype OK, but not to take a photo of that giraffe that's just wandered by)

There is an intersting (favourable) review here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1893349

The one down-side of that review is that the viewing angle is somewhat sub optimal.

I'm tempted myself - but that's Wi-Fi only, however although my wifes Galaxa Pad has a 3G SIM slot, she tethers it to her phone (in wifi hotspot mode) when she needs to get online without local wifi.

Gordon