Re: [LUG] tablet computers

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM, paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Any recommendations for tablet computers,  not buying yet, but I have so
> many pdf files it may help to have something other than a netbook to
> read them on,
>
> So android OS and a kindle App would be useful too,   pdf reader is
> colour which is helpful esp as Open university course books are in
> colour,  and the electronic versions are PDF, so being able to read
> without having to cart a pile of books around with me would be useful.
>
> given a kindle costs £89 a little more gets a tablet that can do a lot
> more.  Or even a little less.
>
> I guess these things hook up to wifi too,  not that important but a
> feature.
>

> any recommendations
>
> Paul

I think you need to really think hard about what your primary purpose
for the device will be.

If you're looking for an "ebook reader" of some description, then a
normal tablet may not be the best option for you given their screens.
Something like a Kindle/Kobo might be a better option ('normal'
tablets usually need their screen brightness up quite high - even with
white-on-black text - in order to read them clearly in anything other
than really dark rooms).

If you're looking for a very portable device that allows you to read
ebooks and indulge in other various media, but not necessarily
undertake any serious "work", then an average tablet will do fine. I
have a 10.1" Android (2.1) resistive touch tablet. It takes 2 uSD
cards and has 2 USB ports which will quite happily accept input
devices and storage devices. I have it in a leather-effect case with a
built-in USB keyboard. I find it is very useful, but doesn't quite
compete with a netbook or laptop.

If you're looking for a laptop/netbook replacement then you're most
likely looking at the higher price range tablets. I have had a good
ol' play with some of these in Staples, etc, and they're really very
good... but still quite pricey and not necessarily as flexible as the
system you're used to.

My 2p would be this: get a tablet if you're looking for a media
consumption plaything; get a netbook or laptop if you're looking for
something with which to be productive; get an eReader if you're
planning on doing a lot of reading on it and not much else.

Grant.