Re: [LUG] freedom was Re: social media

On 29/04/12 07:24, bad apple wrote:
> On 29/04/12 05:37, Simon Waters wrote:
>> The problem with utopia is you'll never get there.
> Thank you for your thoughtful reply - I'll have to muse on it for a
> while before I respond in real depth. But...
>
> Do you think in any way (I was going to invoke GPLv3 myself but thought
> better of it) this really validates the advocation of a mass signup to
> corporate controlled social media sites? Enjoy your data mining my friend.
>
> And you miss  the most important point of all: yes, I correspond to this
> site with a yahoo account. My name is "Mat" (volunteered:, you see it as
> "badapple". Good luck correlating it with any other online activity.
> There is a reason why I segregate my online actions (hello googlebot!).
> Do you really think my real name is even Mat, "Simon"? Google tells me a
> whole lot about you, on the other hand... This is just one of countless
> throwaway accounts. Yes, I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean *they're*
> not out to get us.
>
>> The problem with utopia is you'll never get there.
> But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try, eh? I don't even strive for that
> (although it would be awesome). I'm just pretty sure that my future,
> utopian or not, does not involve selling out every tiny little aspect of
> my online life for the sake of, well, anything. Even a million pounds in
> the bank is not enough for me to sign up to facebook (well, I mean,
> legitimately: I already have multiple facebook signups, just not *real*
> ones). Linkedin, google+, twitter, facebook: you're accepting the lesser
> evil. Good luck with that.
>
> Regards,
>
> "Mat"

Hi

My intention was to try and find ways to reach out to people who are
harder to reach,   the comment on putting freedom to one side may have
been put across badly what I meant perhaps was that ok these services
like facebook may lack privacy and freedom  but there are populated by A
LOT of people so we have to perhaps venture in to that world in order to
reach out to new users,  in a similar way those of us who work in
schools or with children / young people have a way to reach out to the
younger generation via the schools (we need to be cafeful doing so) even
if we simply make cd's available in schools for curious people to pick
up,  they asked the magic question "what is this?" and you have a chance
to explain a different way of doing things.

Certainly I was just suggesting options from those given,   linkedIN is
aimed at the more professional groups hence you have a profile so
perhaps reaching out to users of LinkedIN in the local area who may not
have heard of the linux user group,    LinkedIN allows networking with
people in my field adn for some good online discussion on related issues
( I am on several playwork fourms and a rugby forum where with the
latter we are discussing the new under 7's rules etc)

I didn't mean to upset people or cause offence,  just trying to suggest
ways we can reach out to people.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com