Re: [LUG] samsung nc10 distro suggestions please.

On 19/04/12 11:11, paul sutton wrote:
On 19/04/12 08:01, tom wrote:
On 19/04/12 07:49, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Apr 19, 2012 7:21 AM, "Jason Witcher"<jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx>>  wrote:

I'd say use one of the more lightweight WMs. I've got an Asus eee
with similar specs running Fedora - it is a little slow so I'm
looking to replace the OS with one that uses XFCE or LXDE when I get
a chance.
Jason
Why replace the whole OS just for the sake of a different WM? Just
install the WM and make sure you select it at login time, after that
it should be your default (login manager dependent).

Grant.

I've found that adding on a more lightweight WM to a heavyweight WM
can keep some of the problems of the heavyweight one. Not tried it the
other way round...
Tom te tom te tom

I think that has something to do with the fact that the lightweight wm
still then needs libaries from the other wm (or in the case of kde etc
desktop environment)  to run software built using those other
libraries etc,  so it adds extra to the diskspace / memory usage,

Paul

I think the primary install set the level for certain libraries and the way they interact. If they require a lot of intercommunication to provide a feature that is absent from the later installed lighter-weight WM they're are still there and running slowing any lighter weight WM down. I seem to remember that loading gnome/kde onto a an XFCE machine did the same but I havent checked lately.
Tom te tom te tom