Re: [LUG] samsung nc10 distro suggestions please.

On 19/04/12 08:01, tom wrote:
On 19/04/12 07:49, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Apr 19, 2012 7:21 AM, "Jason Witcher" <jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> I'd say use one of the more lightweight WMs. I've got an Asus eee
with similar specs running Fedora - it is a little slow so I'm looking
to replace the OS with one that uses XFCE or LXDE when I get a chance.
> Jason

Why replace the whole OS just for the sake of a different WM? Just
install the WM and make sure you select it at login time, after that
it should be your default (login manager dependent).

Grant.

I've found that adding on a more lightweight WM to a heavyweight WM can
keep some of the problems of the heavyweight one. Not tried it the other
way round...
Tom te tom te tom

I have had my samsung nc10 for coming up to 3 years now. I ran ubuntu 9.04 for much of this time. lol. Gnome 2.X was the gui which worked fine.

For the past 8 months (ish) I have run mint. I found that the default desktops and window managers were a bit slow. I installed LXDE and made it look more mint like (changed the desk top image and a few other things) and it works well. Fast enough for me.

Rob's, amongst others, suggestion sounds good though. Mint Debian - perhaps with xfce, lxde or enlightenment? (not that i have ever used enlightenment - but it is supposed to be light weight i believe).

I have always wondered how some of the ultra light weight distros would run. I have only tried vector linux and puppy previously. I have to say that neither worked very well "out of the box"; and given that I dont really have a clue (lol!) that was as far as I ever got.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

http://www.slitaz.org/

http://url.drogon.net/0y (puppy linux - did, and perhaps still does appear in the top 10 on distro watch)

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/resurrect-your-old-pc (mentions a few more light weight distros)

Debian also worked very well on some of the less powerful hardware we have in the house.

I hope that is of some use? Sorry if it does not read as well as it might. Just woke up and I am lacking 3 to 4 coffees! lol

Best wishes
roly :-)