Re: [LUG] Network storage

On 07/04/12 06:40, Henry Bremridge wrote:

> That much seems fairly straightforward.

So straight forward it is widely provided as a service commercially,
which almost certainly means that it will now be cheaper and better than
you can provide if you have to do something special to do it.

I remote backup much of my webspace to home using rsync, but I had the
space (and bandwidth) spare, so no extra costs other than setting up a
few commands.

Where possible I prefer remote backups to pull data. Since then a
compromise of the box on which the original content is doesn't
compromise the backups. But that assumes the back-up device is more
secure than the service being backed up. Almost certainly true in my
case since the things being backed up are typically web server with lots
of Internet facing services exposed.

I assume commercial services expose only the backup space and have some
sort of backup of the backups (caveat emptor).