[LUG] Network storage

Been asked to set up offsite network storage for a friend
-   He wants to connect to it, as and when
-   He wants 1TB available, and backed up locally
-   Initial data store ~ 20gb (company records etc)
-   He uses Windows

Been scratching my head as to the easiest way to do this and was considering:
-   Buy network storage box (eg

http://www.dabs.com/products/buffalo-2tb--2-x-1tb--linkstation--duo-raid-0-1-sata-300-6KQL.html?src=3)
-   Attach to router
-   Open port in NAT to him to access storage
-   Add QoS so that any access is bottom of the pile

That much seems fairly straightforward.

How would I secure the access? And I was wondering whether it would be
better to have the data on an old PC running eg freenas that I just added
some bigger drives?

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately

Any suggestions?