Re: [LUG] Bit of a bargain and could be handy. TP-LInk WiFi/3g Router "Piratebox"

On 24/03/12 10:38, John wrote:
> http://www.ebuyer.com/290691-tp-link-150mbps-portable-3g-wireless-n-router-tl-mr3020
>
> These were reduced to Â35 and have suddenly just dropped to Â11.13
> I've ordered 3 :P
>
> On its own it may not sound too exciting, but :
> http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox_DIY_OpenWrt#Tutorial_A:_TP-Link_MR3020
>
> That link guides you through installing OpenWRT and a custom software on
> it, then configure it to work as a Wifi web server allowing people to
> share files locally. It seems pretty simple really and done fairly
> easily.
>
> Ignore the "Pirate" bit if you want, it could be handy at LUG meetings
> for sharing things like latest distro's, Full Circle magazines etc
>
> I've got a 12v > USB power adapter coming for the car and I'll also
> probably look later on into building/acquiring a battery pack for it.

It's a slightly different model (TP-LINK TL-WA701ND) for a slightly
different usage case, but we've just installed one of these in the
garage to bridge the inverter for our solar panels to our existing wifi
network so we can access the embedded web server for usage graphs, etc.
For a cheap plastic piece of crap, it's really a pretty good, reliable
and full-featured unit. Certainly better than the awful ISP-supplied
Sagem F@st unit we've got.

Not really sure how this admittedly cool but somewhat pointless project
is any better than simply having two wifi interfaces on your laptop and
configuring your networking properly though... Greater range I suppose?

Cheers,

Mat