[LUG] Webcam choice

After my earlier posting I have been Googling around for info about
webcams. Nothing fancy, just want to use it to talk to and see our
relations in California and Perth (Australia).

Trouble is there are so many webcams around, so I am asking for some
recommendations and/or warnings. If any members have some experience of
using a webcam on Linux I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Neil