Re: [LUG] wifi adapter for panasonic TV

Paul, give me a call.. I will bring some toys over and we can see if we can make it work between us..

I have time on my side nowadays.

On Feb 12, 2012 12:45 AM, "Julian Hall" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 On 11/02/2012 19:37, Simon Waters wrote:
On 11/02/12 12:48, paul sutton wrote:
mode, which I was told to set it to,  eithernet bridge means nothing to
me, sorry.
There are a selection of devices that plug into ethernet ports, and
provide wireless access as a client of a wireless network.

Some of these devices can be powered of USB which is probably most
convenient given you have a free USB port situated near it.

The point being the TV needs a driver for whatever is plugged in to the
USB, but ethernet bridged into a wireless network is transparent to the TV.

Something like a Gemtek T316, but no one is selling them on Ebay.

Some of the newer devices like this have too much omph. Many support
speeds over 100Mbps, which sounds great till you realise that is why
they cost so much, use so much power, no longer run of USB power, and
you only have a couple of megabits to the Internet where the content is.

Belkin F5D7330 looks suitable, but the pricing isn't good. You might be
better off finding out if there is a compatible USB gaming adaptor.

Alternatively just run a bit of ethernet cable to the ethernet port -
you'll get a reliable 100Mbps, and it doesn't require any additional
power, and has minimal compatibility issues. Come on your walls can't be
that tough can they?

On the USB front the Netgear WNDA3100 is suppose to work with Panasonic
TVs. But again unless you can borrow one to try, it might be cheaper
just to pay Panasonic the cash.

 Simon
Here's a thought.. One of these - http://amzn.to/x6DRwS -  plugged in behind TV, short run Ethernet cable into TV, and the other in the room with the PC going into the router?  Or one of these - http://amzn.to/A7Zc46 - again with a short Ethernet cable to the TV :)  The former avoids any issues with WiFi signal strength being stuffed by close proximity to electronic equipment, such as the TV itself.

Julian