Re: [LUG] NAT busting with ipv6?

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Kai Hendry wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm revisiting ipv6 as a solution for a problem I have.

I need to be able to reach >200 deployments of Webconverger on the
streets of London, which can be connected via 3G or BT ADSL.

I was led down the openvpn route
http://serverfault.com/questions/356956/how-to-create-an-ssh-botnet
initially.
However openvpn seems problematic WRT to key chains and how to setup
IPs. Also doesn't help that I've never liked VPNs from all the
contracts in big companies I've done.

I've been using OpenVPN recently - and I quite like it. It's not that hard to setup - you could have one central server that all the end-points VPN into, each having their own (statically allocated/private) IP address which you can then reach from the central server...

I have a simple script that generates the key-files, puts them into a ZIP file (more suited for the windows users I'm dealing with) and that's that...

Then I remembered the ipv6 discussion we had. Since I control the
operating system, would it be sane to deploy miredo on each of these
deployments?

Then have some sort of "ping" to inform me what ipv6 they have, so I
can later go in and interrogate them if I need to?

Since you control them - if they're all Linux why not just run the native SIT driver on them? Again, tunnelled back to one endpoint. You can statically allocate their IPs.

Of-course you could use and ISP that supports IPv6 natively over both 3G and ADSL (ie. AAISP)

Gordon