Re: [LUG] Logging in problem

On 08/02/12 14:27, bad apple wrote:

> I have seen this before although not for a while, on both an x86 Solaris
> machine and an Ultrasparc Linux server (there seems to be something
> about Sun code that is more vulnerable to this error), and also on the
> Ubuntu workstation I was using to connect to them remotely from.
> Symptoms were exactly the same as yours and were fixed by a chmod of
> .ICEauthority.  I eventually tracked the issue down to my frequent use
> of starting remote X applications over SSH forwarding with incorrect
> permissions, particularly when having to force the issue with sudo. I
> don't remember the exact details of it now but there was very little
> information about in on google at the time - it boiled down to because
> gksudo wasn't available on either the Solaris or the UltraSparc remote
> machines, which is normally the correct mechanism for invoking GUI apps
> with superuser rights, I was using sudo/pfexec to launch them instead
> and this triggered a bug somewhere, presumably in the handling of the X
> magic-cookies and/or session information.
>
> Anyway, you've found exactly the same fix I did - just chmod
> .ICEauthority. Incidentally, when my machines were effected by this the
> two linux boxes required the fix to log in to the GUI again whereas the
> Solaris box bitched and moaned a lot during WM startup and took an extra
> couple of minutes, but would still fully log in. More vulnerable and
> more resistant at the same time, strangely.
>
> Didn't think anyone else would bump into this bug in a hurry. You
> certainly don't need to rebuild or do anything drastic though. So have
> you been doing any remote X-forwarding over SSH recently by any chance?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mat

Thanks for your explanation, very interesting. I have never come across
it before after about eleven years with Linux. And to answer you final
question, I don't do any forwarding over SSH at all. So I have no idea
what caused it to happen. At least if it does I will know what to do!!
It was all as normal up to yesterday, then this morning oops!

Regards

Neil