[LUG] Logging in problem

This morning when I tried to log in the computer stopped at the KDE Mint
splash screen!! It just sat there for a while so I waited for any error
messages.

Eventually I got one -

'No write access to /home/neilwin/.ICEauthority'.

Then another 'Could not start ksmserver'.

This threw me for a while. Eventually I started again in recovery mode,
logged in as root, found the file .ICEauthority and changed the
permissions. Then I logged in again as normal and all was well. I don't
think a newbie would have got that sorted.

I have never had this error before, and I have not done anything which
could have changed those permissions. In fact, until today, I had never
heard of .ICEauthority.

So I am asking if anyone could throw any light on this for me please. I
would be interested to hear if this has ever happened to anyone and if
so what might have caused it.

By the way, yes I do have an up to date backup of my home folder. And I
do have a DVD of Mint 12 KDE should I ever have to start over from
scratch and install a new distro.

Thanks for any help with this,

Neil