Re: [LUG] Amazon - DHL - problem

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Viruses/Trojans haven't trashed computers for a very long time... A working
> PC is much more valuable to a remote scammer than a broken one.

The only exception to this is ransomware: malware that encrypts (part
of) your hard drive and demands a payment for the encryption key. In
theory this can get really nasty. In practise these are rare and the
few examples I've heard of didn't really use any complicated
encryption (if they encrypted the disk at all).

The DHL spam I've seen in the past few days carried some variant of
Zeus, which is a well-known trojan, used to target online banking, log
keystrokes etc. Pretty sure it doesn't engage in ransom ware (or
crashing hard drives).

Martijn.