Re: [LUG] Computer on time

Speaking as a materials scientist, if a device cools down when off, and
warms up when on, components will suffer from thermal fatigue due to
cycling of expansion and contraction. Whether this causes degradation or
failure depends on design and material selection though.

So from and economic point of view, it depends on whether the cost of
replacing components or devices, plus any extra cost of powering up and
powering down is greater or less than the cost of keeping it running.

Phil