Re: [LUG] torbay computer group

On 26/01/12 15:31, paul sutton wrote:
Hi

I have been in discussion with Parkfield which is a local youth centre
in Paignton.

I asked about creating a group for young people (11+) interested in
learning programming and software development,  with the view of
bringing people together and having a peer orientated view of learning
as in we help each other etc., using free tools and free resources to
learn.

This idea now nicely ties in with the government wanting more kids to
get in to programming,  the release of raspberry PI is designed to help.
Back in the 80's people were self motivated and had access to tools.  so
why not embrace this new approach to ICT and help give people access to
the tools the can learn programming on (and at the same time promote
there is more than Just Microsoft tools out there).  Those who are self
motivated may appreciate finding other people with similar interests.
In a similar way to new Linux users finding their local lug.

There are plenty of languages out there from tools for the real beginner
(scratch, kidsruby) to several websites that teach programming.
Languages such as python, perl and perhaps c, c++ for those who are
perhaps want to go further. The tools exist as free downloads.

Using free tools means that everyone has access to them and there are no
restrictions on what can be done with the code produced (I am sure MS
visual development suites for students have some sort of usage
restrictions on the end code,).

A few questions to the LUG,

1.  If anyone (torbay or area) has kids Would they be interested in this
sort of group? If they are I will post details later on when i have
worked with them to set things up etc.

2. Parkfield has some potential for lug meets,  is open every day of the
week, so there is a chance we can get in there as LUG and do proper
talks etc,  and perhaps involve this programming group as in invite them
along.

Perhaps going on previous talks,  we could have another talk on VOIP
from Gordon but done in more suitable environment for doing talks ?

With the launch of IPv6,  could someone do a few related talks,?
(perhaps start with a talk on what TCP / IP is, what IPv4 is,  and lead
on to why we need IPv6 and explain about IPv6. (even some of us lug
members may appreciate this)

Talks on tech related subjects would then nicely tie in with this group,

NB: I would need to ask if we can do any of the above, in this way,  if
we can it would be a good way to involve outside groups. If not we could
have a potential talk venue.

Ultimately     if we can get people programming and find ways of
supporting young developers and create ties with other group then the
group will have reached its aims.  SO if it is possible to allow the lug
(or members) to support this then (as described above) it could really
give the group a boost as we would have contacts which may give this
group some real advantage.

I will post more updates as things happen.

Paul

Cool. Sounds good Paul. I will assist where i am able.

Roly :-)