Re: [LUG] WebOS to be open sourced

On 25/01/12 19:59, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:51:37 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

Hey folks,

Just noticed this on Twitter...

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2012/120125a.html

HP are going to open source WebOS (the mobile OS they bought when
they purchased Palm).  I presume this means that those folks who
bought HP TouchPads may eventually get some sort of support other
than hacking them to run Ubuntu or Android.

Rob

Yes, but not from HP.

It's a shame HP decided to (pretty much) ditch WebOS - I had a Palm Pre
(first series) and it was a decent OS that was let down by poor
hardware. The HP Pre III looked like it was going to be a decently
specced smartphone, and having played with the TouchPad it was a very
system.

Grant.

Yep, my ex-wife managed to get a TouchPad, I managed to have about 5 minutes to play with it and from what I saw I was actually quite impressed. I didn't think it was impressive to warrant a 400 quid price tag but at the £120 I think she paid for it I was very impressed.

I'd be interested to see if in the future it might be ported to more devices :-)

Rob