Re: [LUG] IPv6

On 22/01/12 20:32, tom wrote:

> worked - ftp and all. I've run ~30 websites off one as well - Apache can
> do this with its eyes shut. Big, really big people may need more than 1
> IPv4 - but for an 'SME' thats just 'consumes' the internet rather than
> doing anything out of the ordinary.

As Gordon noted SSL and virtual servers are the killers. No one wants to
run Apache like that any more, at least we all prefer a virtual server
per security entity, and ideally a virtual server per service (email,
web site, DNS), and that is probably the ideal to be aimed at even if it
chews up IP addresses.

Okay as a hosting company we are a bit odd but we chew up something like
12 public addresses for our own use, plus client virtual servers and SSL
certs. Techies like me will probably all have static IP addresses since
it is easier to write the firewall rules that way although they can be
migrated to IPv6 rules as soon as the ISPs catch up.

I think IPv4 exhaustion will be initially dealt with by reallocations,
all the companies I've ever worked for (except my own) have had far more
address space than they were using.

We'll end up doing a lot of work to avoid IPv6 migration, and then
eventually do it and discover it would have been cheaper for everyone to
do it all that way originally, but alas that is the nature of evolving
systems.