Re: [LUG] IPv6

On 22/01/12 17:02, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
There has been a lot of emails on the list recently about IPv6. I am a
little confused about all this, and I suspect that I am not alone.

I get the impression that IPv6 is coming in to replace IPv4 but is
taking a long time to happen.

At the moment for most people there is no point in worrying about it,
IPv4 will carry on working for the foreseeable future .

Also many ISP's are dragging their heels about this so are not yet ready
for it.

And, there are not yet many suitable routers on the market.

These are the 'facts' as I see them at the moment, but I am ready to be
corrected. So can anyone put me right if necessary please? I think
others on the list will be interested too.
You put it all quite well.

IPv4, the 'current' IP protocol, supports 32-bit IP-addresses like
80.68.88.22, where every 'part' has an 8-bit value which can thus
range between 0 and 255. This gives just over 4 billion possible IP
addresses (for a number of reasons not all of which can be used). With
a world population of around 7 billion, many of whom use (or will use)
more than one device, that is nowhere near enough.
That's not quite true - I've got one IP address and I can, using IP4 have millions of devices behind it and not suffer any conflicts. I can host millions of web sites on that same IP address. There are nowhere near 4 billion devices connected directly to the internet - its just there’s a lot of squatting going on - people with allocations that are not used and are technically tricky to use anywhere else. You could (theoretically) re-allocate IP ranges and the problem would go away - almost certainly for long enough for us not to worry about it again in our lifetimes - but that is politically tricky and wont sell a whole bunch of hardware we dont really need.
Tom te tom te tom