Re: [LUG] Well - there's a change...

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

On 12/01/12 20:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Or in an org. with offices all over Devon

I was thinking I have over 10Mbps down from the net, which is more than
I had when I first ran a thin client over a lan first time.

20 years ago I was running X applications on a computer in California, displaying on a terminal in Bristol... Via a 56Kbps line... It was slow though, but proof of concept workable! (It all went downhill after that ;-)

Wonder how many of these commodity routers can do DHCP forwarding....

Not many...

Okay the uplink is pathetic, but that might not be so bad for a thin
client depending what precisely they are doing.

They're doing simple officy type work - email, publisher, word and I suspect the bean counters are using excel and Quickbooks or Sage...

I don't know too much - yet - my wifes only been there 2 weeks (part time), but from what I gather, it's all relatively new computers and so on, with Win7 installed as standard, so they've already paid the MS Tax on them, so I suspect they'd much rather stick with what they know - for now.

WRT speeds - the place my wife is working - Seal Hayne (not working for Seal Hayne, the charity rents an office there), seems to have a leased line from BT, so that's all "managed" for them. I've not ascertained the speed yet, but I'm guessing it's 10Mb. They have free wi-fi all over the site too - if you want to go there for a coffee/scone - the cafe is OK.

Gordon