Re: [LUG] Computing in Schools..

On 11/01/12 09:40, Adam Latham wrote:
>> Perhaps there is hope after all:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16493929
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> Absolutely right!  This M$/Adooby training course that is essentially the
> current ICT GCSE level course is poor at the very best.
>
> My son is about to start his BTEC ICT and essentially it's 2 years to
> build a website in HTML with some embedded Adooby player stuff and a tiny
> bit of Javascript.
>
> It's a little out of touch with reality when he's been hacking my Ubuntu
> for around 12 months with shell scripts and conf hacks (and even learning
> a bit of C/C++ by accident!) to expect him to take 2 years to build a
> website!
>
> He even runs his own Minecraft Server (Java I think) and sets the confs
> using scripts!
>
> And what does this actually enable him to do when he leaves school?
>
> Get it changed; it's rubbish!

This is one advantage of being a dynamic part of the open source
community,  some of the launchpad profiles I have read are pretty
impressive,  and with all the tracking tools code can be traced back to
individual contributors (code also being documentation,  as if its
written in LaTeX or html its still code) how this translates to anything
useful in a country that seems obsessed with bits of paper I am not
sure,  but if you have the right level of respect from the community (or
karma as its on launchpad).  then people may start head-hunting you for
work

2 years to learn all a bit of html,  seems crazy what exactly do they
do, i take it that this is a full time course,

Paul

>> --

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com