Re: [LUG] Computing in Schools..

> Perhaps there is hope after all:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16493929
>
> Gordon

Absolutely right!  This M$/Adooby training course that is essentially the
current ICT GCSE level course is poor at the very best.

My son is about to start his BTEC ICT and essentially it's 2 years to
build a website in HTML with some embedded Adooby player stuff and a tiny
bit of Javascript.

It's a little out of touch with reality when he's been hacking my Ubuntu
for around 12 months with shell scripts and conf hacks (and even learning
a bit of C/C++ by accident!) to expect him to take 2 years to build a
website!

He even runs his own Minecraft Server (Java I think) and sets the confs
using scripts!

And what does this actually enable him to do when he leaves school?

Get it changed; it's rubbish!

> --

The views expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of
UNISON, or the Local Government Branch Torbay UNISON.
Whilst every effort is taken to ensure the integrity of any attachments to
this communication, you are strongly advised to check them with a suitable
Virus/Spyware Scanner prior to opening them.
UNISON and Torbay Local Government Branch UNISON can accept no
responsibility for any damage caused to workstations, servers or systems
as a result of attachments to this communication.
The contents of this communication are intended for the named recipient(s)
only.  Errors in the routing of this communication should be notified to
webadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx