Re: [LUG] ADSL testing

On 7 January 2012 11:03, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And see my earler post... Over their wholesale network (assuming you're
not an an LLU line), then BT guarantees a minimum of 2Mb/sec for 90% of
the peak-time... (I think - can't find the reference right now, but it's
not far from that if it's not that)

Are you sure? Every time I had exchange contention issues, I was told by my (fairly reputable) ISP that BT would not accept speed complaints unless it was below something like 1200Kbps throughput (as reported by BT's speedtester), at several times of the day. This was on a Max Premium line, so logically it would be even less on a non-premium line (800kbit? I don't remember).

But then, even when you did get to that stage (and I had to throttle my traffic to force it below that threshold because whenever I would run a BT speedtest it'd conveniently report a speed of 1300Kbps, or whatever was just above their arbitrary threshold), BT would take their time in fixing it.

They (BT wholesale) were even prepared to send an engineer out to my house when it patently is nothing to do with my line or equipment - a full 8Mbit sync, no CRC errors, tried several different modems. I'm not paying £130 for someone to declare that it must be my equipment at fault. Eventually after months (seriously) of scathing emails to BT Wholesale (via my ISP who seemed willing to pass them along) they finally admitted it was congestion and fixed it. Unsurprisingly I suddenly started getting 6+Mbit throughput.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that anymore - FTTC has just been made available in my village (thanks partly to the EU) and I got it installed yesterday. Absolutely flies and BT supposedly guarantees something like 16Mbit throughput.

Shaun