Re: [LUG] Unity

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:15:59 +0000
Tom Brough wrote:

> Is it just me or is everybody else who uses Ubuntu 11.10 driven to
> distraction by unity. I installed the gnome legacy packages (now that
> unity is default)  but  it still didn't look and feel the same.....
> I'm beginning to wish I had stuck with debian.....

I've played with it. I wasn't entirely happy with it. I've played with
Gnome Shell too, and wasn't entirely happy with that. I had a look at
KDE4.something, but that didn't make me happy. I played around with
getting Sawfish back on the go, but it was a right PITA on Ubuntu.

So, I moved back to Debian after many years tinkering with Ubuntu.
Installed Stable, upped to Testing... only to find Gnome Shell is the
default and not a sign of the old Gnome2 to be seen. Installed Sawfish
without too much hassle, but found that I've become used to a little
bit of glitz (I tend to use Docky) and said glitz doesn't work with
Sawfish (not surprising, really). So I put XFCE on there. A little bit
of tweaking and it's doing a pretty good Gnome2 impression. And Docky
works with it.

Grant.