Re: [LUG] 20thC FLOSS accountancy

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 11:26 +0000, tom wrote:
> I keep my accountancy data on a linux version of GnuCash. It works on
> all my linux machines but my accountants windows version of GnuCash
> cannot read my files!!!!
> Converting to qif seems to loose data and things get muddled.
>
> I donât have windows* so I cant work out whatâs going wrong so does
> anyone try and exchange data with their accountant using floss packages
> at all - and if so what.
> Tom te tom te tom
>
> * I may get a new laptop from ebuyer with w7 so - since I cant get my
> money back for it I'll use it for testing

I use Gnucash on Linux to manage the accounts of a charity.

I have regularly shared the Gnucash file with Windows users (XP, Vista
and Win7) without problems. (This is using Gnucash native files not a
separate database)

I am using Gnucash 2.4.3 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64 bit)

Our accountant is using Gnucash for Windows (2.4.8 I think) on Win7

From memory the only thing to watch out for is file compression.

Hope that helps

Phil