Re: [LUG] OT: Phone Unlocking

On 02/01/12 21:55, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

Been given a Sony Ericsson E v630i vodaphone jobie I'd like to unlock.
Any clues on how to do this for free anyone?

I thought UK providers were obliged to unlock phones once out of contract these days? So as Neil suggests, as Voda..

Try this:

http://help.vodafone.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1000&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=BROWSE_TOPIC&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=us&TOPIC_ID=1135&TOPIC_NAME=Network0Unlock0Codes&PARENT_TOPIC_ID=1131&LEVEL_ID=1132&SOURCE_FORM=TOPIC_TREE&DISPLAY=SUBTOPICARTICLES

or

http://url.drogon.net/0q

IT does suggest that contract (pay monthly) phones are not locked, but all PAYG ones are... However if they're older than a year, it's free, but you might need to get a (free) Voda PAYG SIM just to (re) register it with them to unlock it.

Tedious, but it looks like it's possible for free...

Gordon

I've found the bit on the vodaphone website - alas I do not know the phone number so I will make one up (I guess that should work - its the phone not the sim...). I've never bought a phone or a contract and was only exposed to 'work paid for this one'. Just looking at the offerings though they do look like a mystery locked up in an enema. If a greengrocer offered contracts in a similar vein you'd get fourteen tons of free Brussels sprouts for every apple when you wanted a yellow/red coloured fruit!
Tom te tom te tom