Re: [LUG] ADSL2+ and download speed

> There were a few questions raised when Enta announced them, but
> apparently there was also demand. Some people go manage on a 1GB
> allowance, and Enta is uncounted from midnight to 8am... Still, the
> demand for it from my point is view is zero, so I've never really
> bothered to even mention them to anyone until now. My primary audience
> isn't ADSL broadband anyway, I'm only an entanet reseller because it's
> convenient for the few who bother with ADSL.
>
> Gordon

I don't think I could last the month on 1Gb even if I was only getting
email. I'm probably an ISP's worst nightmare - until gigabit fibre to
the kerb arrives I don't think there is a non-leased line connection I
couldn't saturate 24/7 both ways. With multiple remote users, VPN, ssh,
terminal/email/web servers, rsync, distro upgrades, ISO downloads and
torrent ratio upkeep I easily clear 10Gb/day down and my pathetic
upstream is permanently maxed out. I'm active in the fansubbing
community (Japanese anime) and frequently download complete bluray dumps
- the last one was 38.5Gb for ~100 minutes of footage! I once downloaded
a 1Tb set of rainbow tables which took weeks at 100%.

Obviously I'm a ridiculously heavy user but only 1Gb/month... the horror.

Cheers,

Mat