Re: [LUG] ADSL2+ and download speed

On 01/01/12 11:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2012, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>

>> Well, that told me it as it is. Thanks.
>>
>> The main problem seems to be that I could do with a better ISP, one
>> which would give me less contention. But there are so many out there,
>> how on earth does anyone choose? Is it enough to go by how much they
>> charge I wonder?
>
> Do you really need/want to change though? Maybe you can live with it...
> I'm guessing you're on the £12.99 a month package with fast.co.uk. That
> really is right down at the bottom level in terms of packages and prices
> - personally, I'd barely expect carrier pidgeon for that...

Actually no. I am on Fast's standard package with a download cap of 20GB
per month, which is costing me £23.48 per month. I don't know their
package for £12.99. I have never paid that low a fee.

> However... Since you're right at the bottom of the budget level, and
> your exchange is BTW only, (which rules out LLU packages from e.g.
> Utility Whorehouse) then your cheapest option, and one I'd never
> seriously recommend might be to go with a combined package from BT.
> They'll hapilly sell you a combimed phone plus broadband (plus TV if you
> let them) package for what seems like a relatively cheap deal. The
> actual broadband shouldn't be any worse than you're on now - and from
> what I've heard might actually be better. You'll be signed up for a new
> one-years contract but they will give you a new modem/router as part of
> the package.

I would never go with BT. IMHO the second greediest company in the world
(I will leave you to guess whom I put as no 1). As an aside I consider
it crazy that we, as a western Europe country, have our telephone
network run by a private company with shareholders. No wonder we are so
far behind other Western European countries in this.

> So - stick with what you've got. Schedulle big downloads for their
> off-peak time (ah, which fast don't have). So keep an eye on your usage.
> Typically an hour of standard def TV is about 600MB, or about 1.3-1.5 GB
> if HD.

As I have a cap of 20MB I never have any problems about going over the
allowance.

> But at the end of the day, sometimes it's just easier to stay put.

I suspect that you are right, better the devil you know ....

Thanks

Neil