Re: [LUG] Very simple (Cross Platform) graphics ...

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:26:43 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

Maybe not the best place to ask, but has anyone done any ultra simple
cross platform 2D graphics coding?

I'm trying to resurect something I did on the Apple II, er... 31
years ago and although I'm re-writing the program in C, I need to be
able to plot pixels in a window.. The old Apple II was 280x192, but
that's not critical here.

I've briefly looked at things like QT, GTK+, OpenGL and even native
raw, X, but while I'm probably going to opt for the simplest (Native
X), I'd like it to be more cross platform - should I ever be bothered
enough to go there. (ie. Mac + WinPC)

I'm rather dissapointed in just how "hard" it is to do really simple
olde-fashioned graphics. Ok, it's not hard as such, but it's many
times more involved than it was 30 years ago when all I want is clear
screen, select colour & plot a point... (Bonus to draw a line, but
Bresenham's an old friend) What happened to good old simplicity!

Of-course I could (and I have considered it!) just create an XTerm
280x192 characters and use termcap/curses ;-) but I'd rather use
"proper" graphics..

So ... Anyone ever done this? If so, what do you think is best for
simplicity and cross platform?

I suspect the solution I'll opt for will be to separate the graphics
from anything else so if I ever do make it cross platform, I just
re-write the end-platform graphics driver. Who knows!

Cheers,

Gordon

SDL?

Ah. Hmm.. Looks intersting... Thanks.

Download the C demo program. Compile it. OK. Run it. Bang. Killed X, Lost 9 virtual screens worth of work including the BBC News Quiz Panto. Not amused. Now, even Jeremy Hardy sounds good.

Gordon