Re: [LUG] XFCE

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Have just moved my wife's machine from Ubuntu 10.04 to Debian Testing

Tried the default gnome, hated it (although I have left it on the computer,
in case she likes it). But I am not sure whether I had just the desktop
manager or whether I had the window manager.

Anyway tried just XFCE, and that seems sufficiently similar to Ubuntu 10.04
that it will hopefully work. But any pointers greatfully received to the
following:

1)  XFCE by default only updates for security updates. Security updates for
   Debian Testing "cannot be expected to be of the same quality as for
   Debian's stable" http://testing-security.debian.net/

   When I tried to activate XFCE to update automatically, it did not (I am
   not quite sure why)

   Before I revert to cron-apt, has anyone run into this problem before?

Er.. I run xfce4 under Debian Squeeze (stable) and I don't know anything about automatic updates - Perhaps it's an application I've just not loaded though. I do updated manually when I can be bothered...

2)  Currently the default window manager / Desktop manager on start up is
   Gnome. What file do I need to change to make the default XFCE?

Can't you do it at login-time?

Although I have to say that I don't have a login screen for my desktop - it logs me in automatically.... Same for my laptops... I'm sure I set that in the control panel inside xfce4 though. I think it's under "Session and Startup" though.

3)  Tried to install a HP laserjet P1102w. Bearing in mind all the
   discussions on printers over the last few weeks, all I can say is
   Brother just worked. HP still doesn't. Hopefully will get that working
   this weekend.

Do it directly in CUPS - http://localhost:631/ and forget the desktop tools. It worked much better for me that way - after I'd installed hplp. Although see my earlier rants on this...

Gordon