Re: [LUG] Skype and web cams

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Kevin Lucas wrote:

HI all and Happy Xmas/NewYear

It's not the new year yet! :)

Still Skype works...... for now.

We have virtually zero issues getting Skype for Linux going under bog-standard Debian 6 on my wifes new PC. She got a Logitech HD webcam with built-in microphone and it more or less "just works".

Actually seems to have more issues with the in-laws Win7 PC than hers...

Forget SIP - unless you get everyone with SIP compatable video phones (with compatable codecs) and a registration service (PBX) to hang them all on to, and broadband routers that arn't broken, and decent connections with QoS and know how to handle port forwarding, NAT, SIP ALG issues, then it's going to be shite.

(Says he speaking bitterly from several years experience trying to get the family to use them - they all switched to Skype and I've not heard a peep since)

Say cheese ...

Gordon