Re: [LUG] Fw: Using a [linux] smartphone? You're pwned

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, David Hare wrote:

On 16/12/11 08:17, Brad Rogers wrote:

It's left-pond centric, but may be of interest to some (many?) here.

Thanks for posting the links.

We all heard before, vague ramblings of "paranoid conspiracy theorists" who cannot back up what they say. Difference here is, there is real evidence of what is going on and it looks quite nasty.

This goes way beyond technical support service or even a legitimate crime detection tool. Private companies are involved here. Who knows where else that data will be diverted to. The man who discovered this and said so was threatened, by a private company.

This story is now several months old now, so there's plenty to google for online.

Start here: (September 2011)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1247108

more here:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/carrier-iq-sues-treve/

here..

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/the-rootkit-of-all-evil-ciq/

and here:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/more-on-carrier-iq/

and so on.

However - I've not paid it any real amount of attention (my phone doesn't have it installed), but from what I understand, the chap who "discoverd" it was sued by CIQ because he said it was a "rootkit". They later backed down.

It's all a bit odd though - the carriers have the ability to see and log all your browsing and every URL (or IP address) you access anyway - this does give them a bit more information AIUI as it can send the urls of HTTPS sites.

I don't understand the expression "left-pond centric", is this a geographical term or a political ideology?

Geographical. Left side of the pond - aka Atlantic Ocean - ie. the USA.

And AIUI, SIM free phones are a rarity over there - they all come with contracts via a carrier and the carrier has final say on what software goes into the phone.

Gordon