Re: [LUG] Fw: Using a [linux] smartphone? You're pwned

On 16/12/11 19:43, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> There are plenty of tools on Android to either detect or remove
> CarrierIQ already.  Also, just because a mobile platform *can* run
> CarrierIQ doesn't mean that your phone has it.  I've already tested my
> as-yet-unrooted-and-still-running-the-stock-ROM HTC Sensation on
> Vodafone (from Phones4U) and it doesn't have C-IQ on it.
>
> Grant.

Exactly. I've got to admit to being a bit nonplussed at all the nerd
rage and furore regarding the CarrierIQ stuff recently: I mean,
seriously, is anyone actually surprised at this? Particularly on any
non-100% free software mobile telephony stack (and there are exactly
NONE of these: the firmware blobs on the SoC, the baseband, etc are all
closed/proprietary even on linux phones like the Nokia N900) there's a
lot of room for the carriers and manufacturers to put all kinds of
unknown code, for good and 'bad' purposes. Mostly CarrierIQ is used for
the equivalent of SNMP by the network providers: *shock horror*, complex
network operators need copious diagnostic information on the millions of
devices using their infrastructure! Who would have thought it! Whatever
next: ISPs using traffic shaping and monitoring tools for clients using
their networks? Especially when it's government mandated for
state-surveillance programs which we've all known about for years. Duh.

As for all the conflicting data about whether or not keystrokes can be
logged - regardless of whether this is true or not, 90%+ of PC users
have government mandated backdoors in their windows operating systems
allowing for complete interception of all data, including keystrokes. In
the modern dystopian panopticon society, how the hell can anyone be
surprised that their non endpoint-to-endpoint PGP encrypted
communications aren't secure?

CarrierIQ is the biggest non-surprise, non-event ever to hit telephony.
Modern communications and communication devices are not secure. News at 11.

On the plus side, I've been making a tidy sum rooting/reflashing iPhones
and Androids for a few years now and this seems to have just driven
demand up which suits me fine with Christmas coming. It also allows me
to be smug: despite being an enormous geek, I still just use an ancient
Nokia dumb phone with a disposable PAYG SIM. And guess what? Even with
no internet access, location services or advanced features, my network
provider can still intercept every byte of voice and SMS information
that flows over their system from me. They can also pinpoint my location
with GSM triangulation.

I really, really don't understand why people are making such a big deal
out of this. Don't get me wrong, I do think it sucks but seriously, this
is all not surprising.

Cynically,

Mat