Re: [LUG] Altered desktop and windows tools

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 12:54 +0000, geosubcription wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my geoubunto install. On a acer one netbook. This problem
> occured once before but all i did was reinstall... It consist of removal of
> windows display settings (minimise/maximise), along with inabiltiy to use drop
> down lists, use backup tools, add new disktops, do apt or use some hot keys or
> short cuts.
>
> Has anyone seen this or can help trouble shoot? I m a low/intermediate level user.
>
> Does this sound like a hack?
>
> Cheers
> Simon
>
> >From iPod
I had this on a Ubuntu 10.4 beta on a Sony Viao and a Tosh lappy
Went to 11.something ( current as was ) and all was OK
Not a Hack
Are you using KDE or Gnome or what?
which Ubuntu is the Distro based on? Does this use Enlightenment?
there is a Forum here http://forum.intilinux.com/opengeu-english-forum/

 can you change the window manager at login? use a simple one like LXde
can you see the logs for the X server?
do you use Compiz?  if so turn it off!
what are the Graphics resolutions? can you alter them.
what adapter do you have and can you try an alternative driver ( from
Control panel and Hardware)

can you pin when it happened, if after a kernel update I just wait for
this to be fixed whilst using the old one ( takes about three weeks
normally) Just hit a key before the OS loads and get a Kernel select
menu and use the 2nd one from the top.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)