[LUG] grub error 25

There was a discussion about grub error 17 a while back but this doesn't seem to be in the archive; a search on 'grub' just returned zero. Can anyone point me to the discussion?

The PC (Debian lenny) has two SATA discs and I get no further than the grub error. I have put a Knoppix live DVD in and what I have learned is
 1. I can mount /dev/sda, which has four partitions;
 2. dmesg starts off with a lot of error messages about ata
 3. I can't mount the other disc, /dev/sdb, which is the one with all the important files on
ÂÂÂÂÂ it;
 4. /dev/sdb has a reiserfs file system and dmesg says

[ 4870.294237] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2006 read_super_block: bread failed (dev sdb, block 2, size 4096)
[ 4870.294259] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2006 read_super_block: bread failed (dev sdb, block 16, size 4096)
[ 4870.294264] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2021 reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs

What I am hoping you can tell me is (a) whether this disk and all its files are lost, or (b) is there a recovery program I can get that will extract at least some of them. Is there maybe a live OS with more comprehensive resue capabilities than Knoppix 6.7?

Hopefully,

Tony