Re: [LUG] grub error 25

On 03/12/11 00:29, bad apple wrote:

> As for the most mature journalling file system in the kernel, I can only
> guess you're joking right?

My mistake, reiserfs3 went in with 2.4.1, XFS went in 2.4.0, I thought
reiserfs went in first.

But it has been bedded in a long time, and I had boxes using it which
shipped a LOT of email using postfix with no issues.

Indeed I still have some boxes running it, because I wanted a file
system to handle a lot of small files, and after pondering the options
it seemed the rational decision for Debian Lenny at the time, and the
benefits of switching it aren't worth the down time it would cause.

I don't recall the decision process precisely, but there was no stable
ext4 in Lenny. So I believe the viable choices were XFS, JFS, ext3, or
ReiserFS3.

XFS fsck had only just got its NULLs bug fixed a year or two back then
when it left a load of NULL filled files around, and I'd heard other
problematic things about memory usage when checking large filesystems,
so that was struck off the list.

JFS didn't handled small files terribly well.

So the choice was basically ext3 or reiserfs3 up to Feb 6th 2011 for
these boxes.

When I did migrate one of these systems to ext3, it did eat a lot of
extra disk space, so I guess the rational decision for me as a Debian
user was reiserfs3 for email servers, squid boxes and web hosting which
are all predominantly small file activities, until Feb 6th 2011 (Squeeze
release), which wasn't that long ago.

> I can definitely understand why people *used* to use reiserfs back in
> the days, but those days are very, very long gone. I wish to god that
> either BTRFS would reach stable or someone could beat some sense into
> Oracle so we could have ZFS in kernel - preferably both if at all possible.

Agreed, but I'm going to want stable releases of them in Debian stable,
and in the installer/rescue disk(s), before I even look at a filesystem.
This means the choice tends to lag the cutting edge somewhat.

But then Oracle use to say the same thing, if you want your database to
"just work", wait till a filesystem has been stable for a couple of
years before switching stuff to it. If you want to find the bugs for the
benefit of everyone else switch earlier.